This article will explain why this is the case and cover the main benefits one can enjoy by committing to a regular swim schedule. Are you curious about the health benefits of swimming? As you may be aware, swimming has the reputation of being one of the best sports to maintain a healthy body.
- Whole Body Workout; The first benefit of swimming is that it is a whole body workout. Indeed, swimming requires that you engage all of your limbs. As a consequence, all the muscles in your body are mobilized during a typical swim workout.
This effect can be compounded by alternating the swimming strokes used during a workout because easch swim stroke lets you move your limbs in a different way. And because swimming mobilizes your limbs across a wide range of movements, it promotes joint flexibility.
- Cardiovascular Exercise; The health benefits of swimming doesn’t stop there. Swimming is an endurance sport, and can be an excellent form of cardiovascular exercise. Swimming exercise reduces your blood pressure, strengthens your heart and improves your aerobic capacity.
Reader Favourites from Enjoy-Swimming.com
- Low-Impact Exercise; When you swim, your body is supported by the water. The water has a much higher density than air, and this limits the speed at which you can move in the water. These factors make swimming one of the best low-impact exercises that can even be practiced when other forms of exercise aren’t possible:
- It can be practiced safely by seniors.
- Swimming can be practiced during pregnancy.
- It can be practiced by overweight people.
As the water resistance increases with speed, every swimmer can easily dose the intensity at which he wants to workout.
- Alternative to Dry-Land Workouts; Swimming is also an excellent alternative to dry-land exercise. For example, it can be practiced in the summer when it is too hot outside to workout. It can also be a welcome alternative to bored or injured runners.
- Losing Weight and Weight Control; There are other health benefits of swimming. As an endurance sport, swimming allows you to lose or control your weight. It burns about three calories per mile per pound of body weight. To be useful for weight control, you need to swim at least two or three times a week for at least half an hour.
However, make sure that you do swim continously at the pool. Stopping every five minutes to have a chat with your lane partners won’t cut it! 😉
If you are overweight, swimming is the best way to lose weight as you will be able to workout safely without putting too much stress on your joints.
Relieve Body Pain; Swimming is also an excellent sport that can relieve certain types of aches:
- Swimming is often prescribed to patients that experience back problems and pain. Swimming backstroke is an excellent exercise to loosen up and strengthen the back.
- Swimming is also an excellent exercise for people that suffer from arthritis because of the support and soft resistance of the water.
The health benefits of swimming are many. As swimming is a low-impact exercise,you would think that there aren’t any downsides to practicing this sport. This isn’t the case however. Even if swimming is a low-impact exercise, there is a possibilityto develop certain swimming injuries, so be aware of them!
The Psychological Benefits of Swimming
- Energizing; First of all, swimming compared to other sports, let’s you feel energised afterward. Nothing beats a swim session early in the morning to feel great before starting a work day. If you can find a pool that opens early enough, and that you want to do something good for yourself and be fit for a work day, this is highly recommended!
- Stress Relief Exercie; Swimming is also a fun way to release stress after a work day. The contact with the water is very beneficial and helps to loosen up the body and the mind. The regular rhythm of the stroke, the immersion in the water and the concentration on the technique quickly feel like a relaxing meditation in the water.
- Keeping Social Contacts; Swimming is also a very social sport. When you start to go to the pool, you quickly get to know the like-minded regulars. To chat about various topics and to exchange swimming tips and tricks while you relax in the water is very enjoyable. The swimming pool is also a place where you can chat with people of all ages, which becomes rare in our society.
Benefits of Swimming For Kids?
According to kidshealth.org drowning is the second leading cause of death for people between the ages of 5 and 24. By teaching your child to swim, he will not only become a stronger swimmer, but also gain valuable experience in the water. This experience greatly reduces the risk of an emergency if your child accidentally falls in an unguarded pool or gets pulled into deep water by a rip current at a beach.
According to 24 Hour Fitness, swimming is an excellent cardiovascular workout that promotes heart and lung health, improves strength and flexibility, increases stamina and even improves balance and posture. In addition, swimming is a way to prevent childhood obesity, which has been linked to juvenile diabetes, notes the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Swimming also puts less strain on joints and connective tissues than other forms of exercise.
Encouraging your child to swim can also improve his mental and emotional health. The natural buoyancy of the water is more relaxing than other types of exercise, notes 24 Hour Fitness. In addition, the CDC found that people tend to exercise for longer periods of time while swimming. Swimming can also improve overall mood, and help combat depression, notes the CDC.
BY: Sam, Oluwafemi