Thinking of ways you can make your makeup last all day? well, i’m here to help with these little tips from my experience. So, it’s safe to say they are all tested and trusted methods…Have fun reading people!
- PREPARE YOUR SKIN: For me, preparing your skin covers all skin care routine from exfoliating, toning and down to moisturising. Taking care of your skin by doing all these things actually matter. by doing all these things, i mean doing them consistently and the right way. Plus, one can tell if you take care of your skin properly even beneath makeup cos your makeup won’t last long if you don’t take care of your skin.
- KNOW YOUR SKIN TYPE: It is really important to know your skin type in order to know the type of product to buy. I realised not knowing your skin type can hinder your makeup from lasting for as long as you want it to last. Imagine having an oily skin and buying a foundation made for dry skin, that will make your face really oily before half of the day because the foundation for a dry skin has a very poor barrier and loses water easily, of cos that’s why it’s dry skin. You have to do that skin type test now to know if you have dry, oily or combination skin in order to shop for the right products.
- USE GOOD MAKEUP PRODUCTS: I realised that good makeup products actually last long and feel better when applied. This i discovered personally after i started buying good products. I personally have an oily face and was buying products that were bad for my face cos they contained excess oil. I have now discovered good brands and my makeup lasts all day even if i go swimming in them.
- ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOU PRIME: Primers are an essential part of the makeup process. This is because they create a barrier that smooths the surface of your skin for a prolonged wear. Always ensure you get an oil-free or water based primer because this will help your foundation from slipping or moving around when applied.
- ALWAYS USE FOUNDATION THAT’S TRULY OIL-FREE: Always make sure you use oil-free products. This is because oil-based products always cause makeup to fall out of place. If you happen to have the dry skin type, make sure you moisturise very well before using an oil-free foundation. Infact, go for the one that is long wearing and will smooth your complexion all day.
- ALWAYS USE FOUNDATION THAT’S YOUR SKIN COLOUR: Try as much as possible not to use a foundation that’s a shade or two lighter than your underlying color. The foundation has to match your underlying skin and colour. This is so that you don’t go around looking like a masquerade or scaring kids… especially when you sweat. LOL!
- ALWAYS USE LIGHT LAYERS: When applying makeup, you have to make sure you apply it using really light layers. This is so that your face does not end up looking baked after makeup. Using a beauty blender is important for applying light layers cos it helps create a smooth and texture free complexion.
- LAYER YOUR LIPSTICK: Who says you can’t layer your lips just like your face? you can do this by applying your lipstick, blot with a tissue, dust a layer of transluscent finishing powder over then apply another layer of your lipstick. Repeat this until you are satisfied. LOL! What this layering technique does to your lipstick is that it gives it a base to hold on to without drying out and cracking your lips. Of cos this is for youir satin lipsticks and not matte.
I hope this piece was helpful to you as it has been to me…